It's one of those rare Sundays when my maid has been privileged enough to be let into my house after just 15 minutes of ferocious banging on my front door (I do not have a door bell). She is one of a kind, that one- she feels quite miserable when she isn't let in and when she doesn't get to sweep and mop my floors as often as she would like to.
When I first arrived here, I was adamant on not having household help - I did my dishes and still do, I do my laundry and occasionally, still do. But in a dusty small town like this one (:)), it is quite an ordeal to clean floors. I remember occasions when I would do all the chores, and sit back for a bit, taking in the smell of Lizol and freshness (not to be confused), only to have a dust storm kicking in dirt and (I think) sands from the Aravalis.
When my roomie made her appearance, I could only whimper against her strong "We have to have a maid" stance. Anu and I will probably remember (maybe even cherish) the experience of searching for a maid and a kabadi waala on the same day, and the Attack of the Kaam-waalis.
So, well, I have been advising dear A to find herself a maid, as well, and I know she thinks it is a volte-face, but I have always prided myself on being able to find reasons to support most of my stands, so here goes:
The Multiple Faces of Maid-ness:
1.Waking you up. If it weren't for the guilt that stems from making her wait and bang at my door, I would never be up before 945AM.Ever.
2.Bright Chirpy Face. My life has become an unending pursuit of happy-ness. My maid’s face is a simple joy to behold. I still don’t know what it is about my morning grumpiness that makes her happy. But hell, if it makes you happieee…I am glad to be it.
3.Extricating matter that you thought you had lost. Many a maid has helped me find earrings (not gold, silly), lost bills, telephone numbers and other invaluable information scraps.
4.Purani jeans and Bed sheets. I can do laundry that excludes big clothes. I am not a big person, so most of my clothes are easy to wash, but I find jeans and bed sheets to be a pain (Personally, I also don’t like the idea of using the same machine for all my clothes)
5.Pigeons - are scared of maids. I,D, am individually powerless against the pigeon(s) that home in on my balcony to court, mate-dance, procreate, roost and grow old.
6.Landlords like tenants who employ maids. It reflects a sense of responsibility towards hired property, I guess. Landlords who like tenants maybe lenient about mandatory 10% hikes, and spare a thought for hirer's financial affairs.
7.Societal gossip. Now this is an area where one must read with caution.But when you want information on the nicelookingblokewithdecentabsandnopaunch who stretches and lunges in the flat opposite your own, there can be no better source than the maid. She will also let in that he prefers boxers and doesn’t have a girl and enjoys cooking. (Someday)
I am a domesticated animal (oxymoron?), now, and I revel in the life of a domestic. I have free access to the Tarla Dalal site for a day, so I must now run to download before dawn.

1 comment:
u finally wrote an eminently understandable post!
Post a Comment