Monday, April 9

To do, not to do or to just lie thinking

The difficulty is in convincing yourself to do, or not to do. Not in doing or not doing something.

In the two weeks that I have been here, the hardest thing to do has been to get myself to make a statement of account of my expenses. I probably put my profession to shame with my extreme reluctance to make an account of expenses (and on the rare occasion, income).I was pleasantly surprised, last week, when my salary slip displayed a number higher than I had expected it to. I was indeed half tempted to call Admin, and tell them they had definitely made a mistake. However, as reason muddled up my conscience, I let it pass, expecting a dip in the next slip.(Aside:My Dad often makes these "What are you worth today?" statements for me. I love them. They allow me to think about that vacation in Crete, Egypt and yes, yes, yes Machhu Pichu. And then, it relative terms, the number pales. Considering that I wanted a certain figure at the bank (and assorted entities) by the time I got hitched for babies (not for life!), I am well off the mark. In fact, so well off that I can't even see the mark (misquoting Joey Tribiani).)

Anyways, getting back to where I was, so I drew up the statement of account. Finally. Realized that I had bills to support my nearly starved stay. And it wasn't so difficult to do the math, when you have the audit trail!! Also missed A from last year, the Mr. Moneypenny, who could account for every cent spent this side of the Atlantic-the US Treasury could do with folks like him. And probably the only one who has ever driven me to make a daily expense statement.


I don’t have much experience in the not-doing-something position. Cos, I often let myself be convinced into doing things, than not doing them. Reminds me of member-speak from work “xxxxx (profession shall not be named) like to do, do, do, do. They never want to stop and think.”

PS:Did figure out an example for "not-to-do".I haven't worked an inch in over a week.There have been convenient avenues for cover-ups.The difficulty lies in convincing my wandering mind to want to work.And not want to electronically ramble on about every trespassing stray thought.

1 comment:

nice try said...

have to come realize there is enormous room between the extremes of "to do" and "not to do". the hesitation arises mostly because we have some vested interest/attachment in the completion of the thing we want to do. one easy way is to "do something else" -- this way it assuages the guilt of not doing anything, and also takes away the pressure of having to think about what you want to do. all this offers is an easy escape route .. whereby you can easily convince someone that you have done something even though it is not what you ought to have done