Sunday, October 22

More Little Women

We regress, despite the bangles!

Little Women,even 10 years from today, I think would evoke similar reactions from me.I would still hate Amy with all my heart, feel weepy and sorry for Jo, and continue to think old Mr. Lawrence could have tried harder to cure Beth, or lure Laurie away from Amy, who I shall then hate more.

I don't remember when I first read the book, but I do know that I was not even 10 then, and that my Little Women version ended when the Marches gathered around the fireplace.And then, I was introduced to the sequel.

I was talking to P yesterday of how childhood is under such threat today.It is not just difficult to be a child, it is plain impossible.Harry Potter is not my idea of good fiction for kids.Nor is Amar Chitra Katha, Sweet Valley and the works.

Innocence lost.Nothing gained

Where are the new-age Blytons really?Where is true family drama, that is above censorship?Where are the days of gay abandon , when every activity didn't have to be a learning experience?Where are the books that tell a story, and nothing more?

Or maybe it is that with every generation, we have that much lesser to tell our children, because, there is that much lesser we know about being one.

No comments: