Saturday, March 10

Man's World. And some fantasies.

I often pride myself on being rather de-sexed in the workplace, but there is no getting away from celebrations of Women's Day, even when one insists that it rather defeats the whole point of the movement towards equality, in asking for recognition of contribution. Of course, payback time is on 19/11, and then, we can all just shut up and go back to being the lowest common denominator- of corporate slavery.
I do wish, though, that I could do some of these things that men can, without a care. Maybe, not yet- some of it involves a change in my psyche, some a change of location, and some- a change of body!


  1. Take public transport at "unearthly" hours, fearlessly (Men only have their wallets to fear. I'd gladly swap).

  2. Watch a movie alone without being seen as a target for lurking theater masturbo-philes (Agreed that you can do that in most multiplex theaters in metros today)

  3. Wear the clothes that I want to, where I want to, without that need to have to prescribe to the "norm"

  4. Beat up people who step out of line- bus-body-grazers, cheapskates, errant auto guys without worrying about whether violence is un-womanly

  5. Cuss like a man when work/work-related work gets to you! It is doubly hard to mind your language in a "professional" environment , when the boys get by with freely interspersed gaalis, with the barest hint of an apology.

  6. Scratch my body freely. Save my hair that I occasionally scratch to pretend I m doing the deep think, I have my fair share of unattended body itches thanks to rarely cleaned office upholstery

I'd like to add -buy protection without having the dimwit billing attendant (DW) give me that judging look. But I think that's probably more me than him. However, on the other protection, I must recommend P&G/HUL change the darned cover, just so DW doesn't spend an extended period of time black-wrapping the damned thing while Sheepish Exhibit in the line behind me tries hard to not guess my monthly cycle.


For the longest, buying liqor fell into a similar category, with aunties bemoaning the immorality that had seeped into society as "these days, ladies are checking out liqor from stores like toilet soap", and autoguys openly wondering if I had beer in my shopping bags. I won't say the questions have stopped since- I don't hear them as loudly.

No comments: