Sunday, March 23

i aint

So, who am I?
How would I describe me without dealing with what I do?I am an accountant/consultant/researcher/unemployed person is not who I am . That's what I do.
I am a living being..is just too lame. I am me doesn't help when I want to know who I/me am/is.

Do we have identities distinct from our jobs, our homes, families, loves and tastes? If I take all of that away from me, am I reduced to nothingness? Then does being me, necessarily involve my doing an activity/belonging to a group/having a distinctly identifiable trait?

2 comments:

... said...

You are what others see in you. You are what people remember of you. You didn't know that 'you' existed when you were a baby. 'You' came into existence when your parents taught you things about 'you'. 'You' grew up as more and more people saw more and more in you. 'You' grew up as you saw more and more of 'you' in people's eyes. 'You' will live on in the memories of the few or the many depending on how people see you and how you see yourself in people's eyes.

Watch:
Serial Experiments Lain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puARhRd1G2o

Me said...

Me thinks each individual is whatever drives them. If work defines me, eg: I love my mechanical engineering job, that is who I am. But if work is not something which drives you, you will be defined by what else does. Eg, I am a mechanical engineer by profession but i love plants and gardening. Then, you are a nature loving person who works as an engineer for a living. Another eg., if you were not working and instead spent time taking care of elderly people, or even your own kids, (this would be out of choice not necessity), then you are a person defined by caring for others (not that others don't care about people, but that would not be what drives or defines them). Your singular, or sometimes multiple points of strong interest and motivation, perhaps to just go on in life, would define who you are.
Maybe I am a 'question-answer ponderer'... hmmm. :D