Sunday, June 11
Shopping is NOT the Tomato Soup for the Confused Woman’s Soul
I have been hearing this too often, and a latest visit to a kili-josiakari, whose Tamil I barely followed, affirmed that “my hand is hole-y”!! Well, obviously, if I am at Globus, with a big bag, that obviously has clothes, I am spending, and it doesn’t take a parrot or an old scary lady with long ears and a stick ,assorted figurines and a bored expression to tell me that. But, I will admit, I am upset.
I have never thought of myself as a saver, but there are reasons for it. I am into the gratuitous lending business .I finance the auto business in Chennai. I also contribute in no small measure to the dismally low OPE bills that clients haven’t gotten around to thank me for. There is also the food industry, but I will not go to the extent of saying I finance them..that is more of a collective propensity to consume. Oh yes..lest I forget, the lending library business…fines paid out to stop the guy from embarrassing me in front of nice Mamis and Thathas.
And when I can’t find clothes in my cupboard ,the occasional binge that drives textiles, employment, cotton production,GDP..blah
Exaggeration , when I said no clothes. I mean clothes I still like after an hour of buying them .
So, I went out to T Nagar, braved the heat, the crowds and my loud conscience. And observed. (I have to point this out to myself, oftener. I did it!I did not shop!)
Result:
Guilt. Shame. Damn us women! We made Usman Road what it is. We built these air-conditioned ugly buildings, that we hate to shop at, but still do,because, you see, we don’t have clothes in our cupboards.
Afterword:
A friend bought a saree for 7000 bucks.
What?Why?How could you?
More on that after the initial feelings subside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment